2010年4月22日 星期四

[Redondo Beach] [Japanese Fusion] Maison Riz, Huntington Beach, CA

Maison Riz

112 Fisherman's Wharf
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
(310) 379-1300

For Pictures, as well as Chinese Version of the Review (http://travelsmart8.blogspot.com/2010/04/maison-riz-huntington-beach-ca.html)

What's up with the hype of this place??

Not so good FUSION food = ConFUSION food

I agree with other posters regarding the hype of this place. Yes, it has a fantastic view. Yes, the services were nice. Yes the presentations are nice but No, the food is nothing that WOW me.

This place is owned by the same Korean owner that runs Pacific Crab company next door but this one he decided to make it Japanese-French Fusion cuisine. The view and interior is beautiful. I like the little details that they are very thoughtful about. However the food, its not worth the price tag in my opinion.

We ordered the "Experience" and the "Voyager" options of the set meal so we can try a bit of everything.

Tofu Bread with Seaweed butter - The original tofu bread and seaweed butter is a nice thought, but the butter itself is hard. It will be nicer if its softer and easier to spread.

"Experience" consists of more meat dishes.
1. Roast duck appetizer was very dry and tasteless. It has alot to do with the texture of the duck itself but I was hoping the sauce and make up for it, but didn't.
2. Tuna Tataki Salad with onions - I liked the dressing but I prefer Albacore instead of tuna since tuna meat is not as tender as Albacore.
3. Crispy Seabass with Dashi Broth - one of their signature dish and it does presented well. The fish was flaky and the broth goes well with the fish.
4. Australia "Kobe" Filet Mignon - Bad Bad Bad. How can they named "Kobe" when its actually "Wagyu" beef? Kobe is just the name of the place where the cow was raised/breed at. The steak itself has nothing that really stands out compare with other USDA meats. However, the sauce (Veal Port Wine Reduction Sauce) was BITTER, something wrong with the wine? or the chef uses it to highlight the taste of the meat but failed to do so? I had much better steak at the "Steakhouse" in Torrance for the real Grade A5 Japanese imported Wagyu Beef (Same quality as CUT in Beverly Hill, yet fraction of price).
5. Dessert - Almond Cake, Chocolate Cake & Orange Jello. Orange jello was the most creative item out of the three.

The Voyager (Seafood-focused meal)
1. Salmon Tartare - It was FISHY. I hardly had salmon thats fishy but here is the first. Argh , I wonder if chef actually taste the dish before they bring it out?
2. Crab Salad - Small yet presented nicely.
3. Fried Oyster, Rockefeller style - Crispy outside with juicy oyster inside. very delicious choice.
4. Tamari Soy Marinated Black Cod - I actually liked miso marinated fish more but this one is still delicious. But I can relate to how people complain about small portion..its about 4 to 5 bites max size
5. Seafood Bouillabaisse (1/2 portion) with Cheese risotto - I am actually surprised that its not as delicious as I thought. They suggested the risotto goes well with the bouillabaisse..but no.....seafood is OK fresh, the soup was not that delicious...I am disappointed.
6. Dessert is same as the other course. I would think they should be different?

Our dessert actually took 30 mins to came up. However while we were waiting for so long, our waitress was nice enough to comp our coffee/tea. Everyone's dessert came out at the same time, and it all seems like the same dishes (I guess something happened in the kitchen that night).

Would I go back to the restaurant? I doubt
Would I recommend people for the view? I will, the view and the service was outstanding, but the food was much less than desired experience especially with the expensive price tag.

沒有留言:

張貼留言

Related Posts with Thumbnails